Thursday, March 23, 2006

Summer of Content.


Summer is over.

To most of the people around here, "civil" summer ended on 1st March. However the fall equinox was just a day or two ago. Now the nights are longer than the days and will get longer. I know most people, especially those living around the equator do not really give a damn about astronomical (pagan?) practices. However tracking the seasons by astronomical measures versus some arbitary calendar has a quirky appeal to me. It just feels.. natural.

It has been a good summer. Not the best quarter of my life to date. Nor was it the most memorable three months of my life. But it was a good summer all the same. A peaceful and quiet summer. One for of those times that I know I will look back with fondness for many future years to come. And hopefully one of the times that my deathbed will make me go "damn, that was a good time!".

Goals accomplished this sumer: Zero.
And proud of it.

I have spent too much of my life planning, scheming and trying to achieve "valuable" goals that I set for myself. This last couple of months have been just spent living.

Not much to report though. Drank a lot of beer and vodka. Watched a lot of sunsets. Ate a lot of (free) pizza. Tinkered a bit with some electronics. Walked around barefoot quite a bit. Burned a lot of fuel randomly driving to pointless destinations. So if you expecting a report on the secret of life, or on the cure for cancer, or a solution to failing nation-state economies - you are going to be sorely disappointed.


***


On the more practical (boring!) side of things..

Still working two jobs. More like one-and-half actually. Or even one. Like they say in the pizza business, "half and half".

Have eased very well into the routine of the day job. Still has good bits and not-so-good bits like any other job. I go to work on time, do my tasks assigned, and go home on the dot. My employer has made more than one obvious attempt to get me to "take more initiative", dangling vague undefined temptations of more responsibility, more money and more praise. I am greatly amused and wish I can tell him outright that I am not in this job for the money (for the moment) and that I have had my fill for reponsibility to last me quite a while. I figure as long as I get the job done that I was hired for, I am not likely to get fired. I do not have to be the top employee - as long as I am not the least valued. "Dun be first and dun be the last and never volunteer for anything" - see, the years of National Service does teach valuable life skills indeed!

As long as I make enough to pay my rent, pay my share of the house bills, buy food and fuel and keep the car running, and a little token left over to send to my parents and maybe to buy a few small luxuries for myself.. I have no intention of overdoing the "work" bit.

I must be turning into a those "relac one corner Mat"s whom I used to envy.

As for the pizza job.. that is another whole universe. The pizza place boss must be the most relaxed person I have known so far running his own business. And now that the place is on track to be sold, my work shifts have dropped from about 5 a week to an average of about 3 nights per week. The ownership transfer will take place in a month or two, and current owner will stay for a while to ensure a smooth business transfer before taking off to Europe for a vacation of undefined duration (funded by the proceeds of the business sale).

I still enjoy working at the pizza shop. It offers me the human interaction that is lacking in the day job. In addition, there is an element of instant gratification that is absent in shuffling paperwork around.

At the day job, I shuffle pieces of paper (or rather electronic documents) around which results in physical stock automagically being transported to the store by couriers, and the stock then gets automagically moved out of store by other pieces of paper generated by sales people. Once in a while the numbers on the paper do not tally the physical numbers and there is a big drama. Or the physical stock is damaged or missing and even more paper has to be generated.

With the pizza job, things are a lot more straightforward. Customer hungry. Customer calls shop. Me answer phone. Me write down order. Boss make pizza. Me sometimes make pizza too. Me put pizza in car. Me drive car to customer. Me give pizza to customer. Customer give me pieces of paper and pieces of metals. Customer eat pizza. Customer no hungry. Customer happy. And once in a while customer calls again and say to boss, "that was the best pizza I have had". Customer happy. Boss happy. Me happy. All is good with the world. Me wash up kitchen.


The two worlds collided in a surreal manner a couple days back when I was requested to do a pickup order for a staff lunch meeting. Of pizza. It was a great effort to hold back from doing the standard customer greet, collect money, hand over pizza routine when I brought the pizzas back to the store. And to turn right around and drive off right back to the pizza shop!

9 Comments:

Blogger sOnG said...

think it was time to hunt for position that you have been waiting..anyway enjoy..cheers

March 23, 2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger the virgin undergrad said...

I think i might have told you some time back. My housemate is now working part time for a logistics/stock taking company called Loton or something. Pays $16+ an hour i think. They might have full time positions, though i'm not sure. Anycase, $16 per hour for a casual job scanning barcodes for a few hours isn't that bad either. Gimme a shout if u want the contact yeah?

March 27, 2006 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Kelvin Tan said...

Nice to see you updating again. I am one of those who still dun understand how the hell RSS feeds work. I will have to keep up with technology soon hehe.

March 28, 2006 5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You live in the northern hemisphere, don't you? Winter is over for you.

April 02, 2006 12:54 AM  
Blogger Patricea Chow said...

This last couple of months have been just spent living.

I think that is one thing that alot of people think they are doing, but are actually not. I am currently in between jobs and not sure when I will get one again; freelance work is sparodic which means income is a trickle, but I am enjoying everything that is happening to me.

I wonder whether this means I have burnt out too early or that I've finally understood what living means...

April 04, 2006 2:52 AM  
Anonymous cricket said...

hello hello

April 25, 2006 4:25 PM  
Anonymous jean said...

You sound like you are happy, and I'm glad. And it's nice to see an update!

April 25, 2006 11:24 PM  
Anonymous Friend said...

I am starting to get worried for you - it's coming to one year, and you still have not secured a "decent" job? Perth is a sleepy town, but even my friend's kids who graduated from UWA recently managed to secure 9 to 5 jobs. Have you been seriously looking? Maybe you should hop over to Melbourne and try your chances there.

June 28, 2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

Australia is in the southern hemisphere. There is a reason why they call this place "down under".

Melbourne is nice. However I think I am quite enchanted with Perth at the moment.

As for what is a "decent" job, it all depends on how you define it. The day job is a regular office hours job. I started on the pizza job about 3 weeks after I arrived in Perth. And I started on the day job about 3 months into Perth.

July 10, 2006 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home