Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Oz Day 251.


It has been over 3 months since the last update.

3 months is a lifetime by Internet and blogging standards.

I am still pleasantly surprised once in a while by emails and comments wondering how I have been. Especially from people I have never even met in person before.

And for those of you regular visitors still showing up on the site counter once in a while after this long period of silence.. I am amazed. But seriously folks, you may wish to consider using the RSS feeds instead.


***


Stuff that has not changed since the last blog post:
* still working at the same two jobs making ends meet
* still living in the same place near the beach
* still driving the same car which has not yet fallen apart
* still have not had time or bothered to get a haircut

What can I say? I am a guy that just does not like change.


Interesting events since the last blog post:
* D. is now an Australian permanent resident
* D. has since visited twice (the housemate blogs the first visit)
* wrecked the day-job company car ('wrecked' being a bit strong)
* pizza place is in process of changing ownership - re. 'the curse'
* adventures with new tires, failing fuel pump and random driving

Most importantly, I dare say - at the risk of jinxing it - that I have been a lot happier than I have been for many years. And equally significant is that it is not the "hooray I won a lottery" type of overwhelming dizziness, but more the quiet sense of contentment that surfaces in quiet moments and declares softly and firmly that "this is good".

There can be so much to say actually. So many events to update on. However most of it is fluff anyway when you really think about it. Not to say that life has been smooth sailing for the last quarter. There has been some ups and some downs with the associated fears and horrors.


In summary of the last quarter, life has not been this.. calm (for want of a better descriptor) for a very long time now. The last time I can remember feeling this much as ease with myself was when I skipped school in JC immediately after the flag-raising, took my Suzuki GSR400 clear across the island down kilometres of dirt track in Punggol, just so I could eat icecream and watch the tide in the channel gently lap at the isolated beach.


And I think I may be ready to start blogging again.

21 Comments:

Blogger Laughingcow said...

RSS rocks. :) And I'm looking forward to more blogging from you!

March 14, 2006 5:55 PM  
Blogger the virgin undergrad said...

Heya mate!!! Glad to see u taking a hiatus from ur hiatus!! Glad that u're feeling alot happier here.

One of the few constructive things which the guy who sold me the car said was how most FOB singaporeans have huge difficulty adapting becos' they've got unrealistic expectations of career progression here. From his personal experience, he was in a similar situation as u, taking up jobs which he was overqualified for at a much lower salary, and eventually bidding his time before he found the right job for him to kick start his career which pertained to his expertise. Keep the faith, and eventually things will definitely come your way!

Interestingly, he also commented how his 'typical singaporean attitude' (which in this instance i assume to be an aversion towards living in 'ulu' estates) convinced him against his better judgement from buying a house in Mandurah 5 years ago, and how he would have at least been a quasi-millionaire had he bought a house in Mandurah back then.

March 14, 2006 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Hey! Glad to hear that D's got her PR. Things are looking bright :-)

March 14, 2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger Fat Fingers said...

glad you're happy! :)

March 14, 2006 8:38 PM  
Blogger The Legal Janitor said...

hey, good to know that you're happy and things are going well for you.

March 14, 2006 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Martin said...

Hey KOP,

Thanks for your update:) I'm pleasantly surprised to see an RSS feed showing "1" on Singapore Serf!

Keep the faith and blog on!

March 14, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Killjoy said...

Great to see ya back online and thanks for the calling card tip. Will look into this RSS thingy. LOL.

March 14, 2006 11:41 PM  
Anonymous cc said...

I don't know why, whenever i feel low and lost, I just feel so much better after surfing on your blog. I am not sure if this is good or bad. ha. It has such a profound effect on me that I couldn't describe in words. I realised my faded memories for oz keeps coming back whenever I read your posts. Subiaco, Sorrento, Freo flea mkts, Wendy's ice-cream, Leederville nicnack shops, Wanneroo markets, Hay st, Murray st,musicians in blue room, the kangeroos, sandwiches, wedges, yum-chas, Fast Eddies,domino pizzas, channel seven, footy shows, oh no..i can go on and on now.... Ironically, your posts put me in perspective too. an enlightened mind. brilliant.

March 14, 2006 11:55 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

FOB = fresh off (the) boat
In case anybody else is wondering. (D. asked me.)

Thanks to all for the comments. Makes me feel so welcome and wanted!

Turned comment moderation on in anticipation of the trolls returning.

March 15, 2006 9:20 AM  
Anonymous duh41 said...

Glad to hear you're doing well :)

March 15, 2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger voctir said...

Appreciate your visits and quick-witted comments on my livejournal. I do read your blog as well. :)

March 15, 2006 1:26 PM  
Blogger sOnG said...

cheers..keep it going!

March 15, 2006 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Kristian said...

Wow, an update. I'm pleasantly surprised to see a "1" in my RSS reader as well. Good to have you back.

March 16, 2006 6:29 AM  
Anonymous boon said...

happen to pass this interesting blog,..
so how is aussie mate?...saw from the pics..u in perth??..
i think sydney better no???..in job and living standard????
i guess i m opp to you..got aussie pr and job and degree but chose to go to singapore to settle...
i guess each to his own..i m sure aussie will be a fun place to be in and i sure miss sydney...
sydney pple often poke jokes of how perth is so country mate..:>
anyway..have fun.good luck.and will be interested in reading your blog often...

March 16, 2006 6:59 PM  
Blogger As-I-Am said...

Looking forward to more posts.

March 18, 2006 10:09 AM  
Blogger akikonomu said...

Make your first post an RSS guide, man. Btw, I've hosted some visitors who complained/observed that there seems to be just one approved hairstyle for Singaporean men; glad you could break the mold.

March 19, 2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Hi!

You won't remember me but I emailed you from Sydney ages ago, when you first moved to Perth, telling you not to worry about what people think blah blah blah. Y'know, screw 'em and do whatever makes you happy.

I too have been popping in and out to see if you've re-started your blog. I think the reason many people, myself included, find it so compelling is because your story has such an against-the-odds nature to it. It's a little bit like cheering on the underdog; we all terribly want you to win and we're kind of shouting, "Yes! Go! Go! Go! Don't look back! You're almost past the finish line! You rock!"

I'm glad to hear you're happy and content in Perth, and I look forward to reading the rest of your story.

Warmest regards,
Nicole
www.nicolelow.com

March 20, 2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

Know what?

I think you've already won.

Grats mate. :P

March 25, 2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger sngck said...

I am freaking happy for you man! Counting down the days (3 and a half years) when I can begin a life like yours!

March 26, 2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger Qinghui said...

You're baccckkkk!

March 26, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger elin said...

YOU ARE BACK!! I nearly missed it. Just sitting here searching for Satay recipes on line when i thought - i wonder what singaporeserf is up to? So i checked. I have to catch up on reading but welcome back and glad that things are panning out!

May 13, 2006 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home