Saturday, November 05, 2005

Four Month Mark.


It is now four months since I hauled my sorry ass across the Indian Ocean to plonk myself in the middle of nowhere. Someday when I am in the mood (and have the energy), I should do a list starting with "Perth is so isolated that...".

It has been four months without D. next to me. I miss her. Desperately. Keeping busy is one of the things that keeps me sane.


It has been over a month since I have been working at two jobs simultaneously. I feel tired but not exhausted. Am getting sufficient sleep, but not as much quiet time to myself as would be healthy. Mentally not as sharp and focused as I can be. Am making mistakes at the detail-oriented day job - mistakes that I would get fired for in an instant back on the small island.

Will probably keep at this arrangement for a little while until something gives. Something has got to give one way or another. This is not a viable long-term situation. However in the meantime, would just make hay while the sun shines - in terms of rebuilding a stable financial base. The credit card wolves continue to howl across the ocean.


It has been over two weeks since moving into the new housing arrangements. Do not ask me how the new housemates are like to live with because I do not quite know yet. The only significant chunk of time I spend in the house awake is on Sunday afternoon.

The only "settling in" I have done is to put up shelving in the room, purchased a secondhand table from Cash Converters, and threw into the spare workroom some old computer parts that my day-job employer was writing off and throwing out. Eventually need to get a machine set up so that I can stop annoying my housemates by using and mucking up their computers. I have not even unpacked totally and my belongings are all piled haphazardly on the shelves.

On a sidenote, I must say I like the shelving in the room very much. They are industrial shelving made of pressed/cut lightweight steel beams held together by nuts and bolts, and buttressed by discreetly placed internal corner braces. Ignoring the assembly instructions, I bolted two of those units together in an even sturdier L-shape shelf in the corner of the room. Even made the effort to tape down the sharp edges with electrical tape. The final result: It may not look pretty but it does the job and is rated to hold up more weight (50kg per shelf, 200kg per rack) than flimsy Ikea-type shelves that cost multiple times the cost.


There is so much I want / need to do to really settle in outside of working hours, but this essential thing called sleep has first priority on my time...


14 Comments:

Blogger bohemianlisa said...

Leapin' lizard! Four months already? Wow. Time does slip away under our very nose..
It's good that you are adjusting (whether you like it or not is another issue!:-p) and I hope D's immigration process is going on well.

Handsome Teddy tells me to say, "Ganbatte, Gor Gor!" :-)

November 05, 2005 2:23 PM  
Blogger Southern Sky said...

Although you still have to work hard for your living, at least you are not a serf anymore. Cheers mate.

November 05, 2005 9:20 PM  
Blogger Calamity Man said...

pardon my ignorance, but what is a serf? or have i already asked this before?

self-employed raving funkster?

November 06, 2005 5:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

November 06, 2005 9:25 AM  
Blogger Amazonian said...

Serf is a term from the medieval times. There were basically three types of people then: those who toil, those who fight, and those who pray (serfs, nobles and clergy). The last person who commented belongs in a fourth one called stupid.

November 06, 2005 10:14 PM  
Blogger Calamity Man said...

actually i just remembered that i have been told about what "serf" means before. my sister just reminded me.

and for someone who chooses to be vulgar and hide behind an anonymous cloak shows how low his/her level is.

that is worse than being pond scum.

November 06, 2005 10:14 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

I have removed the vulgar comment.

(Personally, I did not find the comment that offensive actually.) Please note that IP addresses are logged even if you are posting anonymously.

As for the definition of serf, see previous comments.

November 07, 2005 1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To respond to mr loobz, I have no intention to stay anonymous, I'll even gladly post my address here if you want.

Just so happens that I'm not regular enough a poster to actually register for an account.

It is a joke man, but serioulys and frankly, if you did come from Singapore you yourself know of the conditions there. Some things are best left unsaid, but I do not intend it to be offensive too.

Just a humorous representation of a factual reality, sorry if the humor didn't hit :/

November 07, 2005 4:22 AM  
Blogger Calamity Man said...

you dont actually have to register to leave your name or initials behind.

if you meant it as a joke, then i sincerely apologize for my lack of humour.

perhaps a holiday would do me good. heh.

i have issues with people who "attack" anonymously from experience.

November 08, 2005 12:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really should apologise for what I posted too, seeing as to how the humor wasn't well received..

But nevertheless, I've chanced upon KoP's blog sometime ago... and to be honest, seeing as to how I often feel like I can relate to his writings on so personal a level... I am starting to realise that I too, have a confession to make :)

November 08, 2005 6:19 AM  
Blogger elin said...

Hi - long time. I dont post much but do keep up with your ongoings. Kudos for sticking it out so far and making decisions that (dare I presume) that I am sure you wouldnt have made elsewhere - buying a beat up old car, pizza delivering, forklift driving, working TWO jobs. I worked in a kebab shop, taught dancing, competed in dancing and now work 2 sometimes 3 jobs, and have a mortgage, 2 dogs, 1 cat and more bills to pay than I ever had. But somehow, its not as bad as it sounds. And I get to go back on holidays to see my family and enjoy SG for what it really is without getting caught up in the day to day there. :) And yes, sleep is important so dont short-change yourself there. Press on!

November 08, 2005 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi KoP, hope it's ok to "borrow" your blogspot to ask 'elin' a question; I was wondering if she can still teach and compete in dancing and have one job that pays the same take home pay as all her " 2 sometimes 3 jobs", plus also footing the corresponding amount of bills for the same level of goods and services she purchased there... will she consider moving back to SG instead ?

November 08, 2005 11:22 AM  
Blogger elin said...

Elin can be reached on elinwee@optusnet.com.au. To anonymous - not sure what the point of your question was - correct me if I am wrong but I detect a hint of being inflammatory in your comments. I dont wish to hijack KoP's blog for personal purposes but just to make the point of my comment. I WORKED in a kebab shop when I did not have other professional opportunites, I COMPETED and TAUGHT dancing cos I loved it. Currently both are no longer, if the grammer of the sentence escaped your notice. I choose to work 2 sometimes 3 jobs, choose to undertake the reponsibilties I have because I want to - this is to highlight that life overseas is not as "merry" as it is perceived to be and just because one has emigrated, it does not mean that its a breeze for them from then on. I will not assume what the basis is for your question of whether or not I will move back to SG, all things being equal. Will not hijack this blog further, you know where to reach me if you want a more detailed response.

November 09, 2005 8:19 AM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

Feel free to 'hijack' the blog for relevant discussions.

And what could be more relevant than hearing about the pros and cons of emigrating overseas from others who have blazed the path before us.

I found such online resources sorely lacking in my own journey. And I am deeply grateful to those ex-Singaporean emigrants who chose to (privately) share knowledge, information and valuable advice with me.

So consider this blog and public comment space a form of karmic payback.

November 09, 2005 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home