Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Unbedded Houseplant.

These old boots still got a lot of ground
they ain’t covered yet
There’s at least another million miles
under these old bus treads
So if you think I’m gonnna settle down
I‘ve got news for you
I still got a lot of leavin’ left to do
- Dierks Bentle, lyrics to Lot Of Leaving Left To Do


My housemate's post is short and to the point: "I have moved."

I would like to say the same, but I am not sure it would apply for me. More on that later.


***


The actual move was tiring but generally uneventful. Except for a Homer Simpson moment when the three of us were baffled by the inability to get their queen ensemble bed out through their bedroom door and down the narrow hallway passage of their old place. For a whole of an hour, we struggled with heavy base, trying to move the bulky bed in all angles we could think of to get that bed base around the tight corners. Frustrated, we were on the verge of giving up and just abandoning the bed base. We knew intellectually that it was possible to get the bed out of the room since it was brought in the same route over a year ago, but we just could not figure out how.

After long shower (I think better in the shower), I got out out my notepad and got down to measuring the dimensions of the room and hallway and bed and marking them down on paper. Overkill, perhaps. However from personal experience and as Robert Pirsig puts it eloquently with respect to motorcycle repair problems...

When I think of formal scientific method an image sometimes comes to mind of an enormous juggernaut, a huge bulldozer...slow, tedious lumbering, laborious, but invincible. It takes twice as long, five times as long, maybe a dozen times as long as informal mechanic's techniques, but you know in the end you're going to get it. There's no fault isolation problem in motorcycle maintenance that can stand up to it. When you've hit a really tough one, tried everything, racked your brain and nothing works, and you know that this time Nature has really decided to be difficult, you say, "Okay, Nature, that's the end of the nice guy," and you crank up the formal scientific method.

For this you keep a lab notebook. Everything gets written down, formally, so that you know at all times where you are, where you've been, where you're going and where you want to get. In scientific work and electronics technology this is necessary because otherwise the problems get so complex you get lost in them and confused and forget what you know and what you don't know and have to give up. In cycle maintenance things are not that involved, but when confusion starts it's a good idea to hold it down by making everything formal and exact. Sometimes just the act of writing down the problems straightens out your head as to what they really are.

I had not even reached the point of describing the complete problem before the solution smacked me hard in the face. We then simply turned the bed on the short side and slid it easily out the bedroom door, around the tight corners of the hallway and eventually into the waiting trailer. Classic Homer duh! moment.

If only resolving the tough issues in life were as simple..


***


And on the subject of beds, I have purchased a bed from Ikea. On electronic print, that may not sound like a big deal. In financial terms - to use mimic C.'s speech patterns - I am now so fucking broke that it is not funny. Hey, but at least I am going to get some quality sleep. Have been camped out in front of the heater on their couch in the living room over the last few nights and catching naps in the car and propped against walls, but it is just not the same thing as having your own private sleeping space. And until the bed delivery arrives (they are late and I am getting pissed with the customer service as I type this), I am reluctant to considering any shelving or additional furnishings. The upstairs bedrooms are tiny compared to the huge living spaces downstairs.

My housemate's reaction to the announcement of my purchasing a bed was interesting to me: You're buying a bed. That is good news. That is a commitment. It means you are going to be around for a while. I guess my lack of possessions and emotional readiness to up and relocate at a moment's notice must have spooked them a little. Then again, D. observes astutely that if presented with an attractive enough option I would probably do a cost-benefit analysis that would not automatically preclude the options of paying the lease break penalty and abandoning the car and whatever non-portable belongings I have accumulated so far. So all in all, I cannot blame my housemates for thinking in the back of their minds that I may do a dodgy on them.


***


So I am not at all sure that "I have moved" does really apply to me. I still feel like the same person, with pretty much the same beliefs, and with about the same goals I am have been working towards. In a surreal sense, it is not so much that *I* have moved, but that I have stayed the same and the environment and surroundings around me have just been changed. Again.

With this third complete change of accommodation environment (with everything I own - minus two boxes) in the short timeframe of three months.. I am beginning to feel like that houseplant in excellent Luc Besson movie Leon : The Professional. Getting hauled in a small pot from apartment to apartment by forces greater than myself. I can only hope that my ending to this saga parallels the plant and not the protagonist.

I am sure there will be at least one more move. Probably after D. gets here and after she settles in, she may want to have her own place later down the line. But at least that is not going to be for another year or two. So I guess I should reassure my housemates that I am going to be here for a while. Or unless they discharge a firearm out of the window, or imply to the real estate agent that I am a pedophile.. (you have to watch the movie or read the spoiler review to get that last bit).


5 Comments:

Blogger Calamity Man said...

hey dude, i'll be in perth between the 12-19 nov.

we should hang out then.

October 19, 2005 11:36 PM  
Blogger xue said...

i just wanted to wish you best of luck with things. :)

October 20, 2005 2:49 AM  
Blogger Tym said...

Congratulations on the bed acquisition and recovering from Homer-Simpsonisation. Enjoy the new living space!

October 20, 2005 10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came across this ad and wondered if of any use to you:

http://www.kennysia.com/images/photos/20051020-16.jpg

October 21, 2005 3:05 PM  
Blogger the virgin undergrad said...

congrats mate! things will only get better from here.

u could prolly be forgiven for being mistaken as a paedophile. i watched The Professional when i was 12 and i had a crush on Natalie Portman ever since lol

October 23, 2005 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home