Wednesday, October 12, 2005

First Hundred Days.


So it is only Day 98 as as I write this. So sue me!

It has been one hell of a wild ride so far. Those of you who have been following the entries from way back on that tiny island will probably get a sense of what I mean. Then again, sometimes I doubt that anybody can truly understand (or empathise) with the journey unless they have chosen to walk a similar path.


Still working two jobs into my fourth week now. Getting into the hang of the routine. Now it is not so much trying to catch my breath coping, but more of just knuckling down and getting with it. Still tired all the time. Not so much because I am not getting enough sleep, but more that I do not get enough quiet time to myself when I am awake.

When on the job (either one), I sometimes catch myself operating on "auto-pilot" and just tuning out. Especially when it is repetitive tasks like supply pickups (have the routes memorised now), or pizza delivery to regular customer addresses, or even relatively mindless tasks like stacking boxes into store, breaking down packaging material or generating routine orders and invoices. It is a good thing that my eagerness to volunteer for the menial routine work at the day job is interpreted as a positive sign of a hard worker who is not afraid of a bit of physical labour. Little does my day job employer realise that a couple hours of "menial work" working the barcode scanner, stacking boxes and breaking down shipping material is much-cherished private time to have my thoughts to myself. Ditto for doing washing and clean up in the pizza kitchen, versus having to do deliveries. It is simply just too dangerous to "zone out" when driving and I have added enough scratches, dents and bodywork damage to the car as it is.


Why am I working two jobs? I have no freaking clue actually. I suppose the money will come in useful to pay off the credit card wolves back across the Indian Ocean, and buy furnishings in the new place or something or other. Considering that I have not even put aside a chunk of quiet time to work out my finances - am not even too sure of that.

I suppose that is the convenient reason why I have not been blogging much. But I also find myself losing interest in blogging. Not in blogging per se - I do like writing, be it for an audience or just for myself. But I am losing interest in documenting this journey. Part of me has the sense of wanting to see
this blog project through to a more satisfactory conclusion, instead of just a sudden stop. When I feel that I have nothing more to say or document about this journey, that is when it is time to say goodbye. And I find myself having less to say about it nowadays.

Or not that I have less to say about it, but more that I am reluctant to talk about it. There is this irrational private selfishness. Sort of like when you find a great place to view the sunrise, or a great picnic spot, or little known eating place with excellent food. Part of me wants to tell the world, shout out the great news and share the great discovery. The other part of me wants to keep it secret a little longer, for an irrational fear that too many people knowing would spoil the place - or that people who do not share my values would disrespect the place.

So my feelings about Perth are a little confused. However I do look forward to the day when I can confidently retort to a visitor who disses this place.. "yes this is a boring little town but goddamit this is MY boring little town". When that happens, I know I will be home.

Like I said in an earlier entry, Perth is more
the sort of place that just grows on you. A place that you can slowly fall in love with - assuming you even bother to give the place a second glance. And this is just the tiny metropolitan area of Perth - a tiny 1.3 million population scattered around an area of about ten thousand square kilometres. There is still the rest of the whole Western Australia - a whole lot of nothingness to fill a soul with.


***


Meanwhile back on the small island...

D. has received an update from DIMIA, presenting her with the next hurdles to cross. Police clearance, medicals and IELTS. The last of which we were hoping to dodge by virtue of her university education being conducted in English. However the case officer is adamant about the IELTS requirement. I guess Australia must be getting too many immigrants who cannot communicate effectively in English or something.

The poor girl is having a hard time juggling all that with her full work schedule and night classes. However she is coping admirably. And getting IELTS test dates, medicals and CNCC applications all organised in an extremely efficient manner indeed with minimal input from this end. For those who would dismiss it all as a trivial process in paperwork.. I only have to say that they must have never gone through it themselves personally.

In a sense, I am sort of glad she is going through at least part of the process on her own. The PR is something that she has got to want. And I suppose you will value something only if you have to jump the hoops to get it and not if it gets served to you on a silver platter. And sometime down the road, we would probably together smile indulgently at someone making a arrogant claim that it is so easy to get Australia PR, if only they bothered to do the paperwork. (A scenario I have already encountered more than once in the last couple years.)



***

Postscript:

Coincidentally it is exactly on Day 100 that marks the start of the lease on the new digs.


10 Comments:

Blogger sousuke said...

When you have nothing left to say, it's probably a sign you're home.

October 13, 2005 12:35 AM  
Blogger Amazonian said...

Scary thought.. often I find myself having nothing much to say on my blog now that I am back in Singers (how else could I explain talking about my feet and the sewage system of the north?)... could it... could it be?

October 13, 2005 11:19 AM  
Blogger Singapore Calamari said...

A minor milestone, nonetheless.

Yes, I know how "tough" the paperwork is. I am reluctant to start.

Part of it is "the cost". Part of it is that once I start the wheel turning, the momentum needs to be there.

One thing after another. And knowing me, I like everything to be executed in perfect synchronization, with just enough allowance to breath.

I have also heard so many (from someone you know too) comments that it is easy to get the PR. It is easy to get the spouse visa, blah blah , blah blah.

Anyway, hope to be joining you soon...

October 13, 2005 9:32 PM  
Blogger Calamity Man said...

ill be there soon and im really looking forward to meet all the halal ang mohs there, if you know what i mean. haha!

October 13, 2005 9:42 PM  
Blogger Tym said...

IIRC, my friends --- one with a Master's degree from an Australian university, the other with a B.A. also from an Australian university --- also had to take the IELTS. So it seems to be a blanket requirement.

Blogging, like its low-tech predecessor journalling, is a very personal decision. Sometimes you don't have anything to write/blog about. Other times, there are more words than can be captured fast enough. Either way, trust your instincts. As long as you maintain the focus in your life that will get you where you want to go, you'll do all right.

October 14, 2005 12:12 AM  
Blogger Elia Diodati said...

"Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference"
- Robert Frost

What's important is that you're happy doing what you're doing. Which seems to be to some extent an accurate moniker for you right now.

October 14, 2005 8:03 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

I'm on a very similar boat - I'm starting to -live- here. Life now is very mundane. I go to classes, I work for a professor, I head home, cook, study some more and go to sleep.

I absolutely understand - the novelness of being in a new place is wearing off. What's left is genuine love for your new adopted land. Have fun you.

October 14, 2005 8:23 AM  
Blogger m2cr said...

I started reading your blog 4 days ago and you've inspire? spur? me on to starting my own. I'm full of admiration at your resolve and even though we are in very different circumstances in life, I feel that you've vocalise so many of my sentiments. You're in my bookmark for good.

October 14, 2005 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are finally settling down. Sounds like you blog to share what you feel and when you no longer find that need to do it, you might likely be at peace with what you are in now.

As for us in Melbourne, we too feel that we have found an oasis for our family which we would love to share with everyone but then again are too busy enjoying it to do so. Know what you mean.....

Please continue writing though. You inspire many in more ways than you know....

Take care

erahnan

October 15, 2005 8:50 PM  
Blogger Beach-yi said...

Congrats on your near 100 day post. Ironically I may be counting down to my last days in Oz too. Bleah.

Hmm...I suppose you can just fall back on posting pictures on this blog, like I did before. Haha. But then you may find it just meaningless.

At any rate. Have a good one!

October 17, 2005 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home