Sunday, October 02, 2005

Car Cleaning.


Okay, I now have a clean - no, make that a cleaner car. A cleaner car than compared to yesterday anyway. Was planning to get the car professionally cleaned but could not find a service on the weekends and the car is not available to sit stationary for a day or two, in any case. I was thinking to myself, how hard can cleaning a car be?

I have to stop tempting fate in such a manner..

Rushed to Coles to buy cleaning supplies after the day job and before I started the pizza job yesterday. It is amazing how overpriced "car cleaning" stuff is. Manufacturers take the same common household cleaning chemicals, put them in a fancy bottle and slap a "car cleaning" label on it and charge double or even triple the normal price! Newsflash to car owners: It is all the same stuff, people - there is no "magic car cleaning" active ingredient on the shelves marked "car accessories". Vinegar, baking soda, hospital-grade disinfectant (quaternary ammonium or benzalkonium chloride), dishwashing / degreaser liquid with a good sponge, a couple rags and a bucket will get the job done just as well - and for a much discounted price. The only item that I cannot immediately think of an easy homebrew substitute for is Febreze.

Spent the night at C.'s place on the couch - as I have been doing over the last couple weekends while house hunting. And hitting the vodka and beer and curling up in front of their big gas heater. Less than 30 hours before we know whether our application for the house near the beach gets accepted. C. is cleaning windows in preparation for the move as I type this on her computer, and her partner is still sleeping off the beer and vodka from last night. I certainly hope we get the place and would be very disappointed if our application is turned down. Am so tired of feeling like a lost drifter, and it would be nice to have a place to call home. Even if it is only for a little while.

We took a drive to the beach last night (before I started on the alcohol - #insert responsible drinking public message here). Was standing in the cold wind, watching the empty sky and listening to the crashing surf and having the waves lap at my feet on an empty beach. And I felt wonder and was feeling immensely lucky - even downright blessed - to be living here. Kept thinking to myself: "wow.. I actually live here".


***


I have renewed respect for C. (Nevermind my mock horror about her running distances that I would even balk at driving in bad weather.) That woman used to detail cars for a living. As in from 8am to 5pm on a daily basis. Cleaning cars day in and day out for months and months on end. In rain and shine.

I spent a mere four hours cleaning the car this morning and I am already feeling tired. And that was just a simple vaccuum job, followed a simple soap wipedown of the inside followed by fresh water wipe down followed by disinfectant. I carefully washed all the insides of the glass windows but neglected to wash the outside - and then after I put away all the supplies, I was wondering why the glass still looked so dirty..

The car still looks like crap from the outside with the sun-damaged paint, scuffs, chips and rust spots. And of course the dirty windows (but only on the outside!) . I joke that it is the ultimate in anti-theft devices to have a car looking so crappy that even the drunken yobs would not choose to piss on it. Beats the fanciest electronic car alarm system any day.

Cleaning cars is very hard work indeed. Much harder than it looks. Sheer physical sweat-of-the-brow tedious labour that requires an excellent physical state. Which I am far from being in. Anyone who can do it for a living has got to be either pretty desperate, or have a very strong back and enjoys hard work. If I ever have to get a car detailed professionally, you can be sure the car detalier is getting a solid tip for a good job!

Even delivering pizza, and even working in and cleaning the pizza place kitchen is a lot less hard labour than cleaning cars. I am so glad I do not have to clean cars for a living!



6 Comments:

Blogger Calamity Man said...

cleaning's always a pain in the ass. hey, i can help you when i get down there soon.

October 02, 2005 7:49 PM  
Blogger Venitha said...

> wow.. I actually live here

I know exactly this feeling. Glad you got to feel it in a good situation and not just in the "Shit! I live in this hellhole" way that's been plaguing me lately in Singapore. What on earth was I thinking?!?

October 02, 2005 9:45 PM  
Blogger Tym said...

I'm waiting to have that moment-by-the-beach myself, when I hit the right country.

Congrats on having a clean(ish) car! And totally agree with you on the anti-thieving advantages of an unscrubbed exterior :)

October 02, 2005 10:53 PM  
Anonymous Kelvin Tan said...

Reading this post reminds me of that Pulp Fiction scene where John Travolta and Samuel L Jackson had to clean their car too haha.

I guess there is no Mr Wolf you can call this time...

October 03, 2005 6:53 AM  
Blogger Tym said...

Re: moment-on-the-beach. Thought you might like to see this taken by a friend of mine who's in Perth this week.

October 04, 2005 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know the feeling. A mixture of relief, apprehension, excitement...... most of all the fact that you are paving the way for the rest of your life in a wonderful environment. Well done on all which you have accomplished !!
- erahnan

October 04, 2005 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home