Friday, August 19, 2005

Panuccis Pizza Pondering.


So much has been happening that I am at a bit of a loss on what to update.

So the bad news first.. the potential employer from that hot lead I was following up on (and expecting to land steady full-time work from) finally came back to me and said no. Was very sure I would land a job offer, so have not been diligently filling the job hunt pipeline over the last two weeks or so. In simple words, I am back to square one on the job hunt for permanent and stable employment. It has been quite an emotional setback for me, but I will live..

So instead of hiding in a corner and sulking about it, I choose to bury myself in hard work and manual labour at the pizza place. With this larger operation, they seem to be perpetually shorthanded for reliable staff. Of course since they are not willing to take on anybody on a full-time basis with benefits, compounded with the miserly wages, and being staffed mainly by impulsive teenagers - work is always available once you prove to be a reliable worker. Not that the competition is all that intense. Merely turning up on time, looking presentable, doing whatever work is assigned cheerfully and avoiding making any smartass remarks - and you would are pretty much guaranteed to be in the upper quartile of being "reliable".

So I am getting quite a lot of hours there. In fact I have been working every single night for the last eight days. Quite a horrifying confession for someone whose main goal in life is to relax, sit on my ass all day and do nothing. Unfortunately I need the money badly. My funds are down to about 15% of what I brought here, and I seem nowhere nearer to landing decent-paying work than when I started. And the car registration fees is due in October. Not to mention that without a financial buffer living so close to the edge, it would be "game over - do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to Singapore" should an unexpected expense crop up.

Apart from that, there are also few fringe benefits working at the pizza place. In the words declared by the store manager, "nobody is going to starve or die of thirst on my shift". There is always free pizza and soft drinks during the lull periods and during the closing hours. Work there long enough and your heart may fail of cholesterol-poisoning, or your kidneys fail from too much sugar, or you develop a serious pizza-aversion emotional disorder perhaps.. but you are not going to die of hunger nor thirst working in a pizza place in the short run. More importantly, the pizza place is very well-heated from the two large ovens running full-tilt at almost 300 degrees Celsius all the time. And the car heater, though marginally-functional, does build up quite a warm zone if left on long enough. So going to work means not having to endure a shivering-cold house where about the only warm place after dark is under a big pile of blankets.

I did almost quit the pizza delivery job on the spot two days ago though. It was only 9 degrees Celsius outside when I started even before dark, with temperature dropping rapidly after sunset. Radio broadcasts about severe weather warning - thunderstorms, heavy rain, strong gales, flash flooding, possible hail, etc. Motorists advised to stay off the roads, and warnings to avoid trees and tie down loose stuff in gardens. Only two drivers turned up for work. And the other guy left halfway into the night after he picked up a ticket for doing an illegal U-turn. Did a total of 18 deliveries that night. As a benchmark, the quiet nights usually count up to about 8 deliveries each, busy nights around 10 to 12 each. The standing record for the most number of deliveries by a single driver in a single night stands at 25.

Only two thoughts kept me going through that night and prevented me from quitting on the spot. The first was the stubborn-ass thought that I absolutely refuse to be forced (by lack of funds) to return to Singapore before I have done everything in my power to establish a stable situation to live here. The second was the thought of D. and how badly I want her by my side - and that in order to help her transition over to here, I need to at least establish a stable situation here to offer some security.

It is going to have to take more than a little bad weather to scare me away from trying to make a life here..
So long status quo
I think I just let go
You make me want to be brave
The way it always was
Is no longer good enough
You make me want to be brave

- song
lyrics of Brave by Nichole Nordeman


8 Comments:

Blogger Elia Diodati said...

I'm not usually one for platitudes, but it might be appropriate to ask: 所谓雨过天晴,皆未何处来?

August 19, 2005 7:14 AM  
Blogger sari said...

The weather is so bad in Perth yar .. but yesterday was great. Today looks good tooo!!

August 19, 2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger sngck said...

Chin up mate! There's plenty of support rooting for ya!

August 19, 2005 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, mate. It took me 3 months to land a permanent IT role when I landed in the Lucky Country a year ago. Persevere, and soldier on, soldier. Keep picturing how rotten to the core Singapore is, and pretty soon the thought of returning will cease. It worked for me.

August 19, 2005 1:13 PM  
Blogger elin said...

YOU CAN DO IT

August 19, 2005 3:19 PM  
Blogger Calamity Man said...

and you will buddy, you will.

August 19, 2005 8:47 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks.

This is such of an ego-boost, like having my own cheerleading team.. :P

I am over the temporary setback. Three consecutive nights of hard labour in a pizza place will effectively wipe out all brooding over failed opportunities.

Now it is time to re-group, stock-take and figure out a more effective approach to moving forward toward my goals.

August 20, 2005 1:36 AM  
Blogger Nick and Nora Charles said...

I need to know!

Did you get the job you wanted?

God Bless,

--Nora

October 26, 2005 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home