Friday, July 08, 2005

Oz Day 002.

Detox.

Since yesterday I have not been feeling too good. Had trouble even concentrating on the newspaper classifieds. Symptoms included severe headache, sniffling, fatigue, irritability and a great difficulty in concentrating on anything for more than 20 seconds. Initially I thought I was coming down with a full-blown case of the flu. The symptoms have been there since before I left for Singapore. And my body sometimes comes down with something or another after a period of stress.

After 500mg of paracetamol and about 10 hours of sleep with the heater at full blast, the symptoms did not subside but intensified instead. This morning as I was trying to get through my breakfast of fresh milk, three-egg omeletee and four pieces of toast - my sluggish brain figured out what was wrong with the body.

Caffeine withdrawal. And the worst case I have had for a while. Makes sense, it has been almost 48 hours since I have had even a drop of coffee, tea, cola or chocolate. Given that I was easily doing as many as eight cups of coffee a day - the cold turkey response is not unexpected. So now I feel like a sick dog infected with fleas.

A cup of strong coffee should alleviate the symptoms but this is as good a time as any to break the habit. After all I am already halfway through the cold turkey process before I even recognised the symptoms. Get through the next 24 hours and the symptoms should start fading (I hope).

Withdrawal symptoms from detoxification. What a symbolic way to start..

6 Comments:

Anonymous JT said...

KOP, Hope you will feel better soon.
Heck, once u pass this "trying" period, you will be ok.
Cheer up.

July 08, 2005 3:11 PM  
Blogger Beach-yi said...

Jia you!

July 08, 2005 3:20 PM  
Anonymous mrs budak said...

Yes, that sounds exactly like caffeine withdrawal. I suffered from it for 2 weeks when I tried to quit coffee.

I had it worse when I tried to quit coffee a 2nd time, after returning from a trip to Melbourne (come on, who doesn't drink coffee in Melbourne???) In addition to headaches and fatigue, there was nausea too.

And the irony is not lost on me.... enjoy the free fresh air.

July 08, 2005 9:39 PM  
Blogger SouthLandian said...

Be gentle to yourself, there are bigger challenges ahead. Coke is cheap and good if you need the caffeine/sugar boost. Drink in moderation. In case you do not know already, drinks are best bought from the supermarkets and not from cafes/deli/small shops. In the city there's Woolworths, Coles and Target, hope you have found them.

July 08, 2005 10:02 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

Definitely caffeine withdrawal. Spent most of the rest of today trying to sleep off the headache.

I surrendered on the cold turkey after the nausea started setting in at about 10pm. Thank goodness for 24-hour McDonalds and their crappy (but hot) coffee. 5 minutes after the dose, I feel like I can take on the world. Damn, I really am a junkie. Refuse to stock up though. Limiting access as a strategy to cutting down and eliminating it totally.

Have yet to find the Coles. Been picking up supplies from Woolworths. My heater was from Target.

On another note, is 10pm on Friday still too early for the Northbridge area? Spent the last hour wandering the area but it feels pretty (deceptively?) tame. Feels nowhere even as threatening as King's Cross (Sydney) or Makati (Manila) on a weekend night.

July 08, 2005 11:11 PM  
Blogger elin said...

Hi KOP, sorry been MIA was lucky to get taken away on a surprise holiday. Courageous steps - be firm and be strong. Good luck with job searching - a tip if I may be so bold. I job-hunted in Melbourne (as a resident on a temp visa) for 3 months before landing a job that was so not what I thought I would do. Been in it 3 years now - its OK pay my bills and gives me my weekends off. Interview presentation is impt here - speak concisely, clearly, slowly and enunciate your words. Dont be afraid to ask questions and clarify facts if need be. I fell down in my first interviews cos I sat there lemon. Good luck!

July 09, 2005 4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home