Wednesday, July 06, 2005

At the Rubicon.

In under five hours, the sun will rise. In under five hours, I will head to the airport. In under five hours, I choose - with full volition and free will - to cross a quiet but important threshold.

The bags are packed. Every administrative and logistic detail I can remember has been addressed. The night feels hot, humid and deadly quiet apart from the irregular clicking of the keyboard. As expected I cannot get to sleep no matter how tired I get. As a kid, I could never quite sleep on the eve of an examination or some big competition. Now as an adult, I suppose I should not expect for things to have changed much. It is that proverbial quiet before the storm.

I believe this should be the single biggest gamble in my life so far. The stakes are high indeed - everything I have so far in Singapore. The payoff is - uncertain.
"The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake."
- Johannes Eckhart von Hochheim
I do not like change. I do not like uncertainty. I do not like facing the void and not knowing. It would have just been a so much easier choice to just do nothing, to stay and etch out an passionless existence here. But I remind myself that the employment, economic and political certainties that I face should I have chosen to remain frighten me even more.

"There are risks and costs to a program of action, but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction."
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
The next post on this blog will be from Perth. In a way, I am glad this episode of saying goodbyes is coming to a close. The week has been fraught with so much emotion already. I hope I do not cry any more at the airport when I have to leave D for a while.



8 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

Chin up, best of luck and good journey!

~Excited for you

July 06, 2005 5:56 AM  
Anonymous Oikono said...

Good luck!

July 06, 2005 8:10 AM  
Blogger elyrie said...

Good luck.

And from one who has frequently said goodbyes at airports and set off for unknown lands...

It'll be worth it.

July 06, 2005 8:36 AM  
Blogger Beach-yi said...

Adieu

July 06, 2005 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Martin said...

Goodluck!

July 06, 2005 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the beginning of a bright new adventure.
Go get them!

July 06, 2005 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. All the best. Be sure to start blogging as soon as you can ...

July 06, 2005 2:00 PM  
Blogger Beach-yi said...

Are you there yet?

July 06, 2005 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home