Thursday, June 23, 2005

SG Sitrep 09.

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
- from Kosh in Babylon 5 series, episode "Believers"
The wheels have been set in motion.

I have called the travel agent and issued the ticket on my credit card. Should get the electronic ticket tomorrow via email barring any billing issues. Quite horrifying to hear that I would have to pay more than US$160 for a "free" ticket issued on the last of D's expiring frequent flyer mileage.


Calamariforthought from a while back was predicting that "the chances of you leaving soon are low because of D". The man is seldom wrong when it comes to "reading" me. This is very out of character for me, but I suppose we all need to chase our rainbows sometimes in our lives.

So I soon head to that place described where (as described tongue-in-cheek by a to-be-unnamed resident),

.. escaped murders are just another part of everyday life, like car chases and burglary. Esp the burglary. 50% of all West Aussie homes have been burgled at least once. Property offences make up 80% of all crimes committed in the metro area... something like that. WA has (or had) the highest crime rate in all the states ..

***


My undemonstrative parents' comment to the date of departure: "It is confirmed then?"

My equally undemonstrative response: "Yes."

"How long you plan to be away?"

"Dunno yet."

"If you cannot find work and settle down in about six months, come back."

"Okay."

My parents also handed me a cheque for money they cannot really afford to spare. I guess they know (or must suspect) my dire financial situation. To assuage them and to avoid yet another argument on the matter, I took it and told them I would keep it "for a rainy day" and would only cash it if I needed it. But the harsh reality is that they are going to need every dollar for their retirement costs in Singapore even more than I will need it for this period of transition. I have no intention of cashing that cheque.

I will blog on the issue of finances and how this relocation is being financed some other time. Let us just say for now that if this little jaunt does not work out, personal bankruptcy will be a reality. I exaggerate not. Unlike some fellow bloggers, I do not have the luxury of family wealth as a given to fall back on.


D's comment when I told her the ticket had been issued:
"Okay. I guess all is set then."

However nothing is set. Just that a decision has been made, and now a timeline has been set to that decision.

There is a deluge of practical logistics-type tasks that must be done before I leave. It is like a log-jam has been suddenly cleared. Previously there was nothing to do before the the mind has settled on the decision. And now, there are so many things to get done before I leave.

I hardly know where to start. Mentally I am trying to simplify the situation by treating it as yet another six-month overseas work assignment, with the added preparations for the option to extend without returning to Singapore for resupply.


13 Comments:

Blogger Beach-yi said...

Hmm hey,

send me an email or something, I have a friend who lived in Perth like forever (an aussie) but he recently relocated to Canberra for work.

I can point you to him for some pointers, he's really friendly and willing to help.

My emu is ted07 at yahoo dot com.

Cheers!

June 23, 2005 10:15 PM  
Anonymous mrs budak said...

All the best to you. Keep a firm head and go easy on yourself. Good luck!

June 24, 2005 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Kelvin Tan said...

All the best. Keep us updated on the post-decision preparation!

June 24, 2005 11:33 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

My best wishes. I hope things work out for you only because I know the stakes are -that- much higher for you than myself.

June 24, 2005 12:20 PM  
Blogger froZenZombie said...

Way to go!
A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
You have just taken it. = )

June 24, 2005 12:43 PM  
Blogger Wenjie said...

If you have any questions regarding Perth, drop me an email and I see if my wife can answer them. Good luck!

BTW, I will be also in Perth in August to visit my parents-in-law.

June 24, 2005 1:35 PM  
Anonymous mel said...

all the best, will be looking forward to all the new things you'll be sharing with us while setting up your new life in perth.

June 24, 2005 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just-in-case ?

Service Assistants
Job No.: 173709
Location: South Perth, WA
Work type: Full time, Part time and Casual

Coles South Perth

Coles Supermarkets is opening a new store in South Perth and are seeking motivated individuals for full-time, part-time and casual positions.

Retail and Management Traineeships
Service Assistants in various departments
Nightfillers

You will be available to work flexible hours, including weekends and ideally have retail/supermarket experience.

You will also have excellent communication skills, a strong customer focus and immaculate personal presentation.

Opening date: 22 Jun 2005
Closing date: 6 Jul 2005 at 5:00pm

June 24, 2005 8:23 PM  
Blogger Laughingcow said...

Hope it all works out. And remember to have fun along the way! :)

June 24, 2005 11:34 PM  
Anonymous Martin said...

Hi KoP,

All the best. I wish you boldness,more boldness and perpetual boldness!

The world isn't interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship. - Raul Armesto

June 24, 2005 11:37 PM  
Blogger C said...

And the reply to that "bring it on!"

I'm pretty sure i replied saying quoting was a-ok as long as no overt insinuations of psyhosis were inherent. In case i didn't send it, this is for future reference =)

June 25, 2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger Amazonian said...

... and I know where to get jugs of Toohey's New for $12.50, cheapest bread, free haircuts...

June 25, 2005 11:49 PM  
Blogger elin said...

dont look back, forge ahead and everything else will follow.

My Oz tip :

(Almost) everything u need u can find in opp shops (opportunity shops) - eg, Salvation Army, Brotherhood of St Laurence, in particular clothes.

I know cos I have shopped there in the last 5 years. I do draw a line at underwear and socks and shoes, but all my winter clothes, jackets and boring work clothes I buy from opp shops. (1) They are cheap; (2) I just throw them in the washing machine and if they tear, heck its only 3 bucks. Wearing 2nd clothes is not a typical Sgrean thing (my sis who lived in Perth for 2 years didnt take to it, neither did my mum - she is perpetually buuying me clothes when she visits, which is ironic considering that when I was a teenager, she avoided buying them for me) but really once you can get past the thought of wearing something that someone else had, wash it a few times and its yours. Go for the opp shops in the city or in a trendy area - they usually stock pretty up to date stuff you will be surprised.

Good luck and good on you for coming so far. Best wishes to D too.

E.

PS : whens eta?

PPS :
www.seek.com.au
www.mycareer.com.au

There are also alot of job agencies around and apparently they provide "free" job training - I am not sure what the terms and conditions are. My partner when he was job hunting, went to them and when he got a job, they even gave him a free suit.

June 28, 2005 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home