Sunday, June 12, 2005

Computer Downgrade.


The story so far with D.'s computer..

I did a pretty comprehensive
computer upgrade job on it about six weeks back. Had it running stable and working fine after literally taking it apart and putting it back together again.

Spent a few hours working on the physical layout and cabling around her system, creating a more comfortable (and more easily maintainable) workspace. As documented in
the last post.

About a week back, got her signed up on broadband. Had the setup installed and running smoothly. Even D. was impressed at how much faster it was versus the old dialup.

I spent a couple hours today putting in the lastest patches, optimising the setup, updating virus and anti-spyware definitions, making sure service ports were closed or in stealth, and generally doing what I could to try to make sure the system would stay up and running.

A couple hours ago, we install Skype on the machine. Register her a username. Make sure the microphone and speakers are working properly. The Skype built-in echo test checks out fine. We also watched a couple animations online (streaming video) just to be comfortable that everything was working fine.


About an hour ago, I get back to my machine and get Skype running on it. We were planning to do a quick test to get her comfortable with the software and setup.

I log in and wait for her to come online..

.. and I wait.. and wait.. and wait.

Then I get an SMS from her. PC hanged booting up. Restarting.

I wait some more. Then another SMS saying Startup problem. So I call her.


My best guess from a remote diagnosis..


..the PC harddisk crashed.

I swear I can almost hear Old Man Murphy laughing his ass off at me.

Somedays you are the hammer. Somedays you are the nail.

This whole development is really sort of amusing in a perverted way (once you get past the frustration).


Or as D. suggests.. maybe we should just go back to the the old-fashioned method of writing each other love letters instead!



10 Comments:

Blogger Jeff! Lim said...

wow, that's like sooo many f--king hours of hard work and effort down the train, isnt it? My condolences...

June 12, 2005 2:08 AM  
Blogger sngck said...

You are an IT pro and you forgot to backup? :P

June 12, 2005 10:13 AM  
Blogger Singapore Calamari said...

Contrary to what most people think, backup is almost more painful to restore than reinstalling everything from scratch.

Backup doesn't prevent the crash either..

And knowing old Murphy, if he backed up, it wouldn't have crashed until he is actually in OZ...

June 12, 2005 12:38 PM  
Blogger D T said...

wow wtf man.

yes it is funny, in a twisted way.

hope things turn out okay.

June 12, 2005 2:07 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

jeff! lim:

It is all right. It could have been worse. Nobody got hurt and in the big scheme of things, this is probably just going to go down as yet another amusing Murphy story.

sngck:

Nothing much to backup actually. She keeps most of her email online, and the electronic copies of her print photos in a server on the other side of the world. Data that is valuable to her is regularly printed out and stored on hardcopy.

In any case, it was the harddisk holding the operating system that went kaput. The secondary harddisk holding her data should still be intact, but with a messed up operating system.

singapore calamari:

Yeah. If that happens, you can be sure D. will be calling you for help. Or maybe even parked at your place using your Skype setup!

jane doe:

Yes, I find it funny too. After the initial jolt of horror, I now have this goofy smile on my face (that is still there). For some reason, I find this throughly amusing.

June 12, 2005 4:43 PM  
Blogger sngck said...

Steady la. Glad you saw the funny side of things!

June 12, 2005 8:58 PM  
Anonymous Mr Moron said...

Can't live without my Skype!

June 13, 2005 11:56 PM  
Blogger elin said...

:) sorry for hard work gone down the drain. Can empathise with you frustration. But, how abt getting a mini-MAC?? :)

June 14, 2005 11:47 AM  
Blogger Jeff! Lim said...

(in response to elin as well) I'm glad somebody brought that up!! And get a better operating system as well - and not so much a mac... That's not to diss the mac though - my emphasis is just on the "better operating system"

June 14, 2005 10:55 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

Glad to announce that harddisk has been replaced and D.'s machine is up and running.

Skype works fine. The discernable echo on my side (since she is using a microphone and speakers) is a bit of annoyance, but I suppose a better microphone or headset would resolve that issue.

Would not mind owning a Mac-mini, or a G4 Powerbook for that matter. However the reality is that I cannot even afford a cheap PC notebook, let alone an expensive Macintosh!

June 14, 2005 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home