Tuesday, May 24, 2005

SG Sitrep 06.


D.'s skill assessment came back over the weekend. Result was positive. Thank goodness for small victories. Took 7 weeks and came in ahead of the conservative estimate of 10 weeks.

We are putting together the formal DIMIA application package now. Compared to the paperwork and costs involved in getting an Australia PR, the application process for a Singapore PR (two-page forms and S$100) is a joke. Hope to get the DIMIA package out by end of the week if nothing else crops up.

I have a one-track mind at times. The positive spin on this character attribute would be to call it tenacious. Once I get focused on something, I tend to develop a bad case of target fixation. It is a useful trait when it comes to problem-solving and getting things done. Unfortunately, this relentless behaviour can be deadly to human relationships.

D. got mad at me for obsessing over this visa process. Seems that our conversations have recently been constantly been around this topic too much. She is put off by the constant and intense planning and my harassing her to get the paperwork and documentation in order. From my point of view, I perceive her behaviour as disinterest in this essential process which has to be resolved in order for her to have the option to join me in Australia.


I reckon I need to take a chill pill and back off a bit.




9 Comments:

Blogger takchek said...

Err, congrats?

May 24, 2005 7:56 AM  
Blogger Amazonian said...

Hurrah! Way to go!! Congrats! Is D happy?

What are you going to do now? Your mind must be in a flurry!

May 24, 2005 12:07 PM  
Anonymous tapunan said...

Congrats - do continue your blogging even if you fly off to Australia. It would be interesting to read how you begin life as an Australian PR.

May 24, 2005 5:15 PM  
Blogger Mr Wang Says So said...

Congratulations!

By the way, about essential paperwork, I think it's a male-female thing.

I am also always the one chasing my wife to get the important paperwork done (like filing income tax returns on time).

May 24, 2005 5:19 PM  
Anonymous jasmine said...

congratulations. at least one hurdle is over.

but i do agree with her. sometimes when you keep harping about something all the time, you forget about the other important stuff.

May 25, 2005 6:09 AM  
Anonymous JT said...

KOP,
Congrats.
I dont wanna be your wet blanket but I have this feeling that between the 2 or you, you are the one who is hot on going down under.
D does not seem to share the same level of enthusiasm as you.
Sad but true.

May 25, 2005 10:37 AM  
Blogger the virgin undergrad said...

hey! glad u've got something outta the way! so i guess it's see ya in perth soon!

May 25, 2005 6:39 PM  
Blogger Merenwen said...

Congrats man. One small step for mankind, one giant leap for knightofpentacles!

But do relax on D. a bit, or she just might get so frustrated that she'd refuse to do anything. You wouldn't want that would ya?

May 25, 2005 7:35 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

takchek: Err, thanks?

amazonian: More relief than joy. One hurdle down, many more to go. DIMIA application is next.

tapunan: I intend to. As long as this blog does not get shut down.

mr wang says so: Interesting observation. Never considered it that way. However I think it is probably more of my obsessing over it.

jasmine: Bingo! I am trying to get the DIMIA application out of the way so that we can go back to the state of waiting. And then I can safely STFU about it when with her.

jt: Please do not worry about being a wet blanket or sharing comments that you feel may not agree. If I am being an idiot, I expect my readers to call it that way. And you are definitely right in this case. Ultimately it is her choice, not mine. I just want her to have the visa so that she at least has the choice.

junyi: May not be anytime soon. I am still deciding on timeframe..

merenwen: When frustrated D. is more likely to smack me on the head and/or tell me I am being an paranoid idiot obsessing over it (which she did!). She knows that not getting the visa would mean likely losing each other should I decide to relocate permanently eventually.

May 25, 2005 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home