Tuesday, May 10, 2005

SG Sitrep 05.


All this waiting is really getting on my nerves. I have been edgy and jittery and my sleep cycles are all over the place. My emotional and mental states are not in the best of health.

Almost five weeks since D.'s skill assessment application went out. Another month or so of waiting to go before we can expect to hear anything.

No progress on the jobhunt here in Singapore. To tell the truth, it is no longer something that I desire any longer. I just want to buy a ticket to Perth and try out my luck there. Then again, on the other hand, the idea of starting all over again with minimal resources to fall back on terrifies me. So I am emotionally torn between a rock and a very hard place.

And I mentioned before, I am resolutely not leaving till there is a firm plan in place for D. to get her visa - and the option to choose if she would wish to relocate to join me. And that means at least getting her DIMIA application submitted first. Which requires the skill assessment to be done first. Which is in progress. And so I wait patiently. Or at least I try my best to.


***


The AcidFlask Affair being carried and spun on the mainstream media has also got D. nervous. Worried even. She feels that having lived in Singapore for so long, she is automatically very concerned when the Powers-That-Be turn their unwanted attention to the activities of us serfs - possibly perceiving a threat to their power.

And I agree with her. I am still waiting for the cynics to chip in with the comment about my constantly giving in to D. but I guess I am a male chauvinist pig who espouses the notion that all progress in civilisation comes from the desire of men to please women. *only half in jest*

But seriously. I have come to enjoy the solitary activity of blogging. Both in writing for a small readership, as well as writing for myself. I would really cramp my style to have to shut it down. Hence it makes sense to avoid the political. An infantile blog is better than no blog as a hobby.

But what is political exactly? AcidFlask was hardly blogging on the political but ended up getting silenced anyway. Perhaps "controversial" would be a better test. But then again, a blog which is never controversial and holds no strong views would be sort of bland. To put it mildly. Where exactly are the OB markers if nobody tells us where they are?

Perhaps a better test would be never to write anything that I would not say in public? A good guideline that I currently already follow. Then again, those of you who know me in real life are familiar with my getting into trouble for not knowing when to shut up and for speaking my mind too freely.

This is a democratic country. Everybody can vote. Four paws outvote two hands.
- political commentary from D.
And I have no desire to be a nominee of the Freedom Flask Award.

7 Comments:

Blogger adinahaes said...

Hey,

Just thought you might be interested. The Australian 2005 budget just came out. They're doing stuff like cutting down on tax and giving freebies to seniors.

Unfortunately, they're kind of going the Singapore way in that they now want people to retire later, have babies etc

May 11, 2005 1:47 PM  
Blogger jeffyen said...

An infantile blog is better than no blog as a hobby.

Hits the nail on the head... :_)

May 11, 2005 2:55 PM  
Blogger suspiciousbastard said...

Hey, who says we don't have freedom in Singapore? We have the freedom to say whatever we like. Except that the police and government have the freedom to sue us.

May 12, 2005 12:34 AM  
Anonymous jt said...

Hi KOP,
My wait is killing me too. Am still waiting for outcome of my application for registration in Victoria. Was told 21 days but it has been > a mth. Finally, called them up yesterday & the case manager was like...oh, yeh, will get on to it by this week...Argh...The wait continues.
Frankly, I think that perhaps you should seriously think of going DownUnder soon to get your life started.

May 12, 2005 10:12 AM  
Blogger fortycalibernap said...

hello to all.

i'm fascinated by many things about life in Singapore, but am currently most curious about the restrictions placed on your personal freedoms.

I'm in the usa, so i suppose it's safe to say i take a lot for granted, and tend to criticize the recent behavior of this govt.

If anyone would care to take it up: Leaving aside the more idiosyncratic "makesnosensefromayankpointofview" blurblets that get reported on here (e.g. no spitting in public), what general categories are affected?

May 12, 2005 10:49 PM  
Blogger Amazonian said...

I don't know what to think.

Last week, the local rag wrote that businesses and companies are urging Aussie immigration to ease up on restrictions facing foreign employment.

Then, it reported how WA had the second lowest economical growth nationally.

Then today, "WA at crest of national jobs wave" (http://www.thewest.com.au/20050513/news/general/tw-news-general-home-sto131186.html).

What I know is all these still mean both Jelts and I, two different people holding two different visa, are still in search of that gainful employment everyone is talking about.

May 13, 2005 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Kelvin Tan said...

I just want to buy a ticket to Perth and try out my luck there. Then again, on the other hand, the idea of starting all over again with minimal resources to fall back on terrifies me.
===

Actually, I think you would do better in Perth. Simply because you are more likely to accept a job like waiter or bookstore assistant in a country where no one knows you, than in a country like Singapore.

You can then establish the necessary networking for you to move on. Most Americans do this after they graduate from college.

So don't be anxious about the "minimal resources". You will be surprised how flexible you can be once you are in a place where no one knows you. The "face" issue that often faces Singaporeans in Singapore would vanish.
Kelvin Tan

May 15, 2005 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home