Thursday, March 31, 2005

Fragments 04.



Blogger NavBar

Was mucking around Blogger trying to figure if it was possible to hack the template to remove (or hide) the annoying advertising bar that runs across the top of the page. As part of republishing the entire blog, couple of comments stuck in the Blogger comment queue system must have gotten flushed out. The Blogger comment system has some bugs.

So if you have left a comment that is not showing up for some reason, please drop me a mail and let us see if we can find it. Or if you have not left a comment, feel free to leave one anyway and at least it will feed my ego.

[ And yes, it is possible to hide the advertising bar across the top of the page, in direct violation of the Blogger terms of service. Realised belatedly that
http://oikono.blogspot.com already has a variant of the implementation. Moral of story: Do not reinvent the wheel. ]


***


Flyer

Take a look at the
long comment left by flyer. The poor guy tried to post his life story at least 5 times, so it is the least you can do to read it. And it is worth time for the read. As compelling as the story of mrbudak's mother also in the comments. I am honoured that readers would spend the time to share their personal stories. Thank you.

The cynic in me does however automatically go to check the site tracker to see if I can correlate a NZ-based IP access with the comment posting time. And thinks about searching for a list of past Singapore SEA games gold medalists to cross-reference with fixed-wing heavy commercial jet instructors based out of New Zealand.

But the idealist in me wins out over this one. Because I so badly want to believe these migrant success stories. The other notable success story is that of the
40-year old uneducated widow who made it good, despite barely speaking English when she started. And because at the end of the day, believing in such success stories makes the idea of starting over all again in a strange land much less scary.


***


Larrikin

I was reading on somebody's blog about the theory that Australia has been traditionally composed of:
  • convicts
  • people fleeing something (war, unemployment, mother-in-laws, etc)
Hence the theory is that the Australian society seems to self-select for a strong anti-authoritarian individualistic streak. There may be some truth in that, but it is a big island and it would not be fair to generalise traits across a population of 20 million. The regional differences are actually obvious enough to pick out upon close observation.

[ Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced that bookmark, so apologies for not being able to credit the original author for that thought. ]


***


Passion

And then I read about about the kindly advice provided to a fellow blogger:
“But that is so individualistic. What about the children you might have to raise? What about the basic notion of trying to make ends meet?” she asks.

And we go on and on discussing about how even that is a struggle these days no matter how pragmatic or compromising you get. And we discuss about people who leave Singapore. She tells me she is disgusted seeing young people coming to settle in Australia and leading “indulgent, lazy, self-serving” lives.


- from meandering in words, blog entry
Food for thought
That burns me up. It really does. I have no idea about the silent crisis that is going on with the 20-somethings that are causing those who can to flee in sloth from our little island, but I do know where her aunt is coming from. I have had heard the small spiel many a time in the guise of responsibility and commitment and obligation. Nice words. But I am no longer buying.

And I reject that worldview that my parents accepted. That our lives are to be dedicated (sacrificed!) in service to our jobs, to raising kids (target 2.1), to playing the role of anonymous interchangable digits in the economic SimLife game played by our "inclusive Elites".

So I am a little late to the game, only figuring out in my 30s what the smart folks have already figured out a decade early in their 20s. That a life without passion is.. well, pretty much like my parents'.

[ Don't get me wrong - they are good people indeed. Made of the same hardworking heartlander core that this country was built on. However it pains me to hear them on the rare occasions when they talk about the dreams they have put aside as "birds living in a golden cage" (translation from their words). Newsflash to our "inclusive Elites": Heartlanders are loyal, not stupid. ]

I am not even asking for some of that “indulgent, lazy, self-serving” life. I am just asking for a chance to pursue my life's passion. And to define and discover that passion.

Or are they all the same thing?


***


Overheard

Not to mention, where the heck is the QC when they select the new citizens nowadays? Gawd. These people can barely speak, let alone read English, the official language of legislation here, and are the typical ah-sohs and uncles who look like the sort you see bargaining for like 1 cent off from the vegetables in the wet market, rather than the high-flyer yuppie Chinese businessman.

Sadly, I think I'm on the blue pill diet. Even working where I am, I've kind of lost faith in this country, its administration, and its people. It's not just the draconian legislations, but also the inbred mindset among so many that whatever legislation is passed, it's for our own good. Yay.

- from Insaintly.yours, blog entry
P(RC)issed Off


Singapore population policies target for rapid population growth, resulting in a long-term population of 6 to 8 million.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only sport that I could think of that have the most consistent result in winning Gold in the SEA Games is for water polo. No other sport I could recall come close to their record.

Ted

March 31, 2005 10:53 AM  
Blogger Patricea Chow said...

I am not even asking for some of that “indulgent, lazy, self-serving” life. I am just asking for a chance to pursue my life's passion. And to define and discover that passion. Or are they all the same thing?

A passion becomes "indulgent, lazy, self-serving" only when it bears negative traits and does harm to people around you. These differ from individual to individual.

Such as accumulation of wealth through other people's hardships. Choosing to pursue your dreams while living off your parents who are still struggling to make ends meet for the family. Insisting on your chosen path when you obviously have no talent even though you have passion.

I'm pursuing my passion for writing and dance without harming anyone along the way. Everyday I'm learning more about them and myself through them, and redefining myself through the process.

March 31, 2005 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right about there being various ways to get rid of the nav bar. The easiest I've found is to put "noscript" tags around the opening body tag. You're also right in stating that doing so is in violation of Blogger's terms, so if you implement this or any other "fix," it's at your own risk.

April 02, 2005 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home