Friday, March 25, 2005

Fragments 03.


More fragments that may come in useful to potential emigrants.


***


Certified True Copy

Skills assessment applications and DIMIA submissions talk of "certified true copies" of documents. If you are physically in Australia, it should not be too hard to find a Justice of the Peace (JP) at the nearest AusPost or council office to certify your documents.

If you are in Singapore, you will have to pay a notary public to do it at the cost of around S$10 to S$25 per page. If anybody knows of a cheaper option, many would be grateful for the information.

List of notaries public in Singapore via the Singapore Academy of Law.


***


DIMIA timelines

DIMIA publishes official timeframe estimates for processing times of the different classes of visas at the different locations. Unfortunately the official information is often vague and outdated.

A bunch of immigrants to Australia seem to have got together to create austimeline - a public portal where people can enter anonymous information tracking skills assessments and visa application timelines. The result is a searchable database which may give a better answer to the question of "how long is this application going to take?"

If you have an Australia visa currently in process (or have just received your visa), the least you could do is to add your timeline information. The data requested is on the visa processing timelines and is relatively anonymous.


***


ASA Forums

Operated by the commercial MARA-registered migration agency ASA Consultants Pty Ltd, the public forum pages are a good place to search for answers to common queries on the Australia immigration process.


***


Overheard
His childhood dream was to be a doctor but he failed 4/8 subjects in Sec 2 ... then he failed his Chinese “O” levels ... so now he’s a chiropractor on his way to becoming a doctor in 2 years time...

He tells me, “At least here, I know that I can lead a decent quality of life and not be drowned in debt. I’m not so sure what it’d be like should I choose to go back.”
Overheard at meandering in words. It strikes a particular chord with me because I am the Ah Seng who scraped through with three 'D's and an 'E' at the A-levels, had to redo the same basic-level module in university for 3 times before getting a pass, and barely graduated.


***


Rose-tinted Canada
It would be unfair to describe them as regretful but immigration is not for everyone I suppose. So I reiterate.. make the choice based on your own merits and what is important to you. There's no such thing as a "Stayer" or "Quitter." In fact to make the decision to leave behind everything that you have grown accustomed to is much more braver than those who simply let envious writhe in them and unfairly put down others who dare to take a chance.
Originally from Singapore and now living in Greater Vancouver, Trevor provides a balanced view comparing and contrasting life in Canada versus Singapore.


***


7 Comments:

Blogger Trevor said...

Your words are too kind ~ Sir Knight! Regardless I must thank you for them.

ps. I noticed that your trackback was done in my comments area. Did you run into difficulties using my trackback system? It's on the main/home page where I have a summary of each entry. My apologies, my html skills are not up to par and I haven't figured out how to place them in the entry page itself.

March 25, 2005 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Mel said...

It's a blessing in disguise that you did a trackback on my blog. Because you sound EXACTLY like my SO (except he's prob not so advanced in quitter plans, and he really doesn't like to write much) so I've forwarded your blog to him and he's been seeking solace in it. Thanks :D

March 26, 2005 6:18 AM  
Anonymous huei said...

When I had to xerox certs for my scholarship applications I had my cert copies certified for free at my alma mater secondary school, and signed by the then acting vice-principal. Perhaps you can try at schools? Try the general offices. Just a suggestion, I'm not sure if every such certification is exactly the same.

March 28, 2005 10:23 PM  
Anonymous mrs budak said...

Certified True Copy

DIMIA's requirement for certified true copy is quite strict. There is a standard format specifying the name, address, phone number and status of person certifying the document. Of course, the person must have a certain status before he can certify documents.

I do know that in Australia, you can walk into a pharmacy and request the Pharmacist on duty to certify documents free of charge. Others who can certify documents are accountants, bank officers, lecturers, doctors, and dentists, among others. If you have friends belonging to one of these occupations, it will help tremendously. I'm not sure certification by the same group people here in Singapore is acceptable though. Maybe a JP should do.

An alternative I've heard is to have all your documents bound by the law firm, and have the notary public sign only on the first page certifying the entire bound copy.

March 29, 2005 1:28 AM  
Anonymous bohemianlisa said...

Yes, most of the people mentioned by Mrs Budak are accepted. I had a postal people certified for me here in Australia.

If you are not in Australia, try checking with the Aust embassy to find out if they know of any JPs in the town. The consulate might even have one. They usually do it FOC.

April 01, 2005 8:00 AM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

Update from Singapore:

The consulate will politely refer requests from the public for JP certification of true copy documents to the notary public firms in Singapore.

Probably due to intense competition amongst the notary public firms, the market price for certifying a true copy of a document has fallen to about S$5 per page from a much higher price two years ago.

April 01, 2005 4:03 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

Update: Trevor has a follow-on article "Further words on assimilation or adaptation" on cultural integration of immigrants.

April 03, 2005 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home