Monday, March 14, 2005

Fragments 02.


Good to see from the site tracker that traffic is back to normal.

More fragments. And some blog entries that I have stumbed across in my aimless meandering blog-surfing.


***


Australia Statistics

More
popular statistics about the island from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.


***


Australian Dreams

Ex-American Julian Ninio becomes an Australian citizen and attempts to find out if there is a
common dream to Australians. His travelogues from his research trips will cumulate in the book Australian Dreams, targeted to be published in 2005.


***


Red Pill. Blue Pill.

It has been 6 years since the original Matrix came out in the movies. And yet the
symbolism of the choice of red pill versus blue pill still brings up blank looks in conversations sometimes. Kelvin Tan (aka Guojing of the old Sintercom) has archived an old article on how the Matrix symbolism applies to Singapore.


***


New York or Bust

07030 faces the opportunity to move from
Singapore to New York, and solicit opinions and advice on the problem. The comments provide food for thought for all considering the issue.


***


Job or Visa first?


I've been telling my friends that I don't see myself spending the rest
of my life in this country. And lately, this view is getting stronger each
day.

So what is a Singaporean like me to do? Simple, get a job in any of the
above three countries, apply for some sort of permanent residency/green card
status and spend a few years there to see how well I adapt and fit in and
whether I like the place or not.

- excerpt Zuco's Blog, entry
Exit, Stage Right or Left?

I suggest reading full entry to frame the correct context. My comment to his blog entry:


Slight problem with that plan. The countries you mention have stringent legislation in place to ensure that job opportunities go to citizens and permanent residents before foreigners. Most employers would have to jump through a lot of paperwork hurdles to even justify bringing in one foreigner.

Unless you have some exceptional skill sets highly in demand which are not available in-country, the chances of that plan succeeding are not high.

imho, it makes more sense to get the green card / PR before looking at job opportunities.


***


Standard Flame



There is a good reason why I'm gonna be a "deserter" and migrate in the future: No way am I putting my children in this hellhole.
- Sheena comments on mrbrown blog entry,
I Not Stupid (but I no job)
Sheena subsequently gets a provocative comment by a self-styled patriot in response to one of her critical-of-Singapore entries: "if u dun like sgpore why dun you just leave we dun need ppl like u"

I have had
similar experiences in the past trying to critically discuss Singapore policies. Which led to an insight on how better handle such future confrontations.


***


Macau or Bust



I refuse to die without having the courage to do what I wanted to do. I do not want to die with the appalling thought that society tricked me, that it got the better of me and annihilated my dreams
- from
My Olive Tree, the blog of Singapore emigrant headed for Macau
My guess is the blog title could also be a reference to The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization by Thomas L. Friedman. Folks considering north as an emigration destination could possibly use the contact with the blog owner.


***


Job Insecurity


We got married and we had always agreed to settle in Perth eventually. We kept putting it off, and after almost 2 years since our marriage, we are still in Singapore.

Lately we have been talking about even buying a HDB flat, even though we are staying (for free) in my mother-in-law's HDB unit which she used to rent out. We even thought of putting the emigration off till we have kids.

So what I am trying to say is, heck I don't even know what I am trying to say, but has job insecurity ever occur to you when you wanted to emigrate to Australia?

- excerpt from blog reader email (quoted with permission)

Food for thought. I have leaving this one open for comments. Was tempted to repost the whole email but I felt it contained too many personal details. Will wait for the original email author to post the details as a comment, if he so desires.


The history and geography of this planet have always been characterised by the migration of humans. We move for subsistence, for space, for love, for adventure. We move to find our place under the sun. For those not used to a nomadic lifestyle, making that first step is often the hardest. You are leaving a familiar environment, and environment often dear to your heart. You are attuned to surviving in that environment. Moving elsewhere means starting all over again: you have no friends, and whatever professional qualifications you possessed are rendered almost worthless because you can't speak the new language, they have a different system, and you don't know enough about your new environment. Many refugees would be able to attest to this. Doctors and managers in their homeland, they become cleaners or fruit-pickers in their newfound country, or at best end up opening their little shops.

- Grace Chow, from her book A Pain in the Neck



***


Still searching on the job front. Gave up tracking how many resumes I have sent out. Not one interview yet. And I know it is not because I am asking for too much money either. I dread another possible conclusion - that my skill sets are not in demand in this market.

Fighting the urge to give up. To surrender to despondency. And anger and helplessness.





9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those who use the 'shut up or get out' line also tend to be those who'd say 'don't criticise if you are an outsider/overseas'. By this logic, nobody has any right to critique life on this paradise island.
-budak-

March 14, 2005 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Jasmine Lew said...

I sometimes wonder if it will be easier to find a job when you are actually there. A combination of desperation with actual physicality (I can't think of a better word)? I guess employers would rather respond to a local address.
But then again, you have other things to consider (your SO for example). Has your SO considered maybe going there as a student, then becoming a PR after graduation? I think someone told me that that's what a lot of people do...(you may have already covered this in earlier posts)

March 14, 2005 8:07 PM  
Blogger Beach-yi said...

So scary, did I left my blogpage here before hmmmm? Anyway thanks for the link, downloading now.

March 14, 2005 9:59 PM  
Blogger Jeff! Lim said...

hey - when the going gets tough, ur resolve, and reasons get tested. I guess u'll just have to go through it, and in doing so, come out slightly clearer in terms of ur decision.

March 15, 2005 12:12 AM  
Blogger Wenjie said...

I reproduce my entire email here (with some minor editing)
***********************************
You see, I am almost in the same situation as you. I served my NS,
heck, I served finish my 13 years reservist cycle even. I knew my
wife through the Internet. She is a Singaporean, emigrating with her family to Perth close to
2 decades ago and and still holds the Singapore passport.

We got married and we had always agreed to settle in Perth eventually. We kept putting it off, and after almost 2 years since our
marriage, we are still in Singapore.

Lately we have been talking about even buying a HDB flat, even
though we are staying (for free) in my mother-in-law's HDB unit which
she used to rent out. We even thought of putting the emigration off till we have kids.

I guess all these delays to emigration is tied down to 1 thing : job insecurity. My wife is in the market research industry. She had a job in Singapore for around 2 years before deciding to move back to Perth 3 years ago to look for a job there. We thought that she can go ahead and get a job first before I follow her over. She couldn't get a job for a year in Perth. True that the market research industry in Perth was small, but even then it should not take a year for her to find a job. She even thought of taking up waitressing in order to earn some money. In the end I persuaded her to come back to Singapore and try for a job instead. It took her less than 2 months in Singapore to find one.

So what I am trying to say is, heck I don't even know what I am trying to say, but has job insecurity ever occur to you when you wanted to emigrate to Australia? It will be nice to do a bit of 'brain-picking' of someone who clearly documents his thought process in a concise and logical way.

*********************************

After sending the email, I did ask my wife what could be some of the reasons why she couldn't get a job back in Perth. She said it could be because Perth is a small place, and people hardly job hops, therefore no vacancies, and also market research industry is a small industry and given a choice. She did mention that she gets the feeling that most companies prefer to pick someone of their own race, but it's merely a feeling.

Those who knew that we will be moving to Perth soon have always mentioned to us that if given a choice, they will move too. Have yet to meet anyone who tells us in the face, "Get out, S'pore don't need you. " Will be nice to meet one, so I can get into debate with him/her.

Also, we thought of not giving up our Singapore citizenship, just getting our Australia PR. Though with the Australian PR policy where you have to be in Australia for 3 years out of 5 before they will renew your PR, my wife is thinking of giving up Singapore citizenship in order to continue working in Singapore in the near future.

Will love to hear what others think.

March 15, 2005 2:36 AM  
Anonymous mrs budak said...

Okay, my hypothetical response, since I don't have to face that predicament yet, is that I'd probably not restrict myself to jobs in which I had prior experience.

Do take a look at Sammyboy's Emigrating forum. Your current situation is not unique.

March 15, 2005 3:23 PM  
Blogger KnightofPentacles said...

As it is we are already struggling to raise the money to pay for the skill assessment (~S$500), visa application fees (~A$2000) and associated medical, police and legal fees for certification of true copy. We simply cannot afford the cost of international student university fees. And neither are we academically inclined to qualify for scholarships.

The Sammyboy forum has a "Emigrating? Discuss Here!" folder. Scroll down and click on the folder title in the left window frame. There is a lot of garbage around, but gems can still be found if you have the patience to read through them.

March 15, 2005 4:04 PM  
Anonymous inex said...

Dun fret dude. I have been searching for a job for close to 4 months now.

maybe you wont believe it, but sometimes its luck, and sometimes, just plain lack of it.

March 15, 2005 6:36 PM  
Blogger Patricea Chow said...

I dont know what job you are looking for but I understand the frustration. I was once 'jobless' for 10 months. I spent that time holding part-time and contract jobs that were mainly administrative in nature while looking for a full-time writing job. Add to the equation bills (phone, internet, rent, utilities) and daily expenses and you can imagine how tough it was. So yes, there are people who've been through worse and survived. You'll make it. Don't lose heart!

March 16, 2005 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home