Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Datapoints Perth 11.


Subject: Getting evicted. Perth log Day 10.

Yes, you read the title correctly. I got evicted today. This is what happens when you neglect to pay your rent in advance at a hostel. Everything left in the room gets bundled up in a heap and tossed into storage.

Had to borrow money from
Calamariforthought - for the second time this trip - in order to make the rent. Can only pay him back when I get the A$300 deposit back from the car rental. Yes I am that broke. Finding work and more specifically getting paid for work will be very high on the list of priorities as soon as I get to Singapore.

[ Even more photos have been posted on his blog just moments ago. I know because he is posting them from the computer in the Internet cafe right next to me. ]


***


One advantage of keeping a blog is that it forces me to consistently focus on the issue. I have to think through something before I can actually write it down in a coherent form. For examples, writing about the visit to the wineries in Swan Valley and recording my observations has made it very clear that I am not built for a life growing grapes and making wine. It is extremely hard (and boring) work that requires a lot of passion for the art.

This morning I woke up with a purpose. Rereading my Perth datapoints blog entries last night shows that I am pretty much done with sampling Perth. All these tourist activities are highly entertaining, however I do miss the SO dreadfully. There will be more than sufficient time to poke in the nook and crannies of Perth when (or if) we decide to relocate here.

In any case Perth is about S$600 including taxes and 5 hours away from Singapore. Not exactly an exotic holiday destination like the SO going to the Galapagos Islands as a detour after a business trip in Ecuador. And unlike in the case of business trips, my time is my own to do as I wish on this trip. And I declare that it is time for this little adventure to be over soon.



***


So the very first time I did this morning after cleaning up and getting dressed was to walk across Perth to the Singapore Airlines office to book my return flight this Friday. Yes, I could have done it over the telephone but it just felt more purposeful walking across the city centre.

Mentally I still have home base as Singapore for now. I told the lady at the counter that I need a seat to go back to Singapore. On hindsight, I should have said to go back to the SO currently in Singapore. There is not much else outside of family and friends that I miss in Singapore.

So far at least three people who know me (and who are following the blog) have commented that I seem more suited for Sydney than for Perth. Perhaps they are right. But if I am to relocate to another city just to replicate the lifestyle I originally lived.. what would be point of relocating be? In that last sentence contains the essence for another blog post. But it will have to wait until I can get more quiet time to think about it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home