Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Visa Grant.

The letter in the plain white envelope was on my keyboard when I got home yesterday. I opened it. It reads "I am pleased to advise that the permanent residence visas were granted on..."

I made the trip to the Australia High Commission this morning. Took over an hour of queueing in the hot sun to clear security. Huge crowds due to the voting for elections which close this Saturday. Same one queue for everybody. Australians have had voting from overseas for as long as the folks in that queue could remember. And a puny A$120 (or so) fine if they do not vote.

Now looking at the full-page sticker on my passport that has a whole bunch of words and numbers. Ending with the words "Holder(s) permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely".

I suppose I should be feeling happy. Or exhilaration. Or something.

But nothing. Blanko. Zilch. Nada.

The only emotion I am feeling now is relief. Relief from making sure all the 'i's are dotted and 't's crossed and making sure all the paperwork was complete and that everything is in order. And relief. Relief from the long waiting and not knowing what next.

And the feeling of closure. Of finality. The flat, even dull declaration of "It is done."

And the 60-month countdown has started ticking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home