Saturday, September 25, 2004

Dichotomy.


Was just reading my last post and I certainly come across effectively as a elitist snobbish SOB. Just where do I get off judging people as "prime economically-valuable candidates desired by countries as migrants" versus "those who are stuck in Singapore because they do not qualify for other country PRs"?

Could this be Goh's shorthand for "quitters versus stayers"? The Singaporean dichotomy between "cosmopolitian versus heartlander"? Angell's "knowledge workers versus service workers"?

But. Yet. However. I am trying to be brutally honest here.


"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool."
- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

Let's face the it. This expensive and tedious process of applying for an Australia PR is not for "just in case", or for "future retirement" or "paving the way to take a hiatus" (as one blogger very diplomatically puts it). The term "Permanent Residency" says it quite clearly. Not "retirement-with-no-healthcare-benefits visa" or "long-term holiday visa" or "economic refugee wild card in case your home country's economy goes down the drain".

I may have to sugarcoat it in polite conversation with acquaintances in future, but I should not let political correctness screw up my thinking. I am obviously not happy with the status quo of living in Singapore and am actively seeking options. It has got to be such a natural reaction that one of my friends rebuked me during a holiday in Malaysia with "You don't have to be constantly evaluating everywhere you go as a migration destination, you know!". I was at that time chatting with the locals about the job situation, food costs, medical care availability, etc.

In this sense, I feel profoundly lucky to have options. Correction. Make that possibly one option at the moment. Singular. I do not qualify for PR in the USA, nor UK, nor Canada, nor New Zealand. There are a couple possilities in Asia, but I do not believe they are superior options to Singapore. But I am still actively evaluting them. Malaysia, China and Thailand are pretty high on my list.

The effort put into studying the migration procedures and requirement of other countries, and trying to objectively qualify push-pull factors for migration... definitely a lot more hard work than I have ever put in swotting for any of my academic exams.

Maybe I should learn contentment.

And maybe I should start learning to see in shades of grey, rather than black-and-white.

And maybe I should sprout wings and fly.

Damn. Maybe I should have paid more attention and perhaps taken the blue pill.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home